About Me

My photo
Watching my mom and grandmother expertly apply lipstick with or without a mirror enveloped in a mist of Chanel 22 planted the seed of my obsession with everything pretty. I have worked as a model and pro. make-up artist for approximately 13 years now and I still moonlight as one when I am not busy running my Hypnotherapy and Life Coaching practice and being a mom to an awesome teenager and a wife to a talented man.

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Natural Cleansing Milks, Even a Vegan Sunscreen!

Lately I've been trying out natural moisturizing products for my skin. I have been on a Dr. prescribed beauty regimen of Retin-A .01% (as a wrinkle preventative) and Hydroquinone 4% (bleaching cream) for a couple of years now and although I only use these products at nighttime, I still get the mildly dry skin associated with the use of these products. These reviews reflect my opinion and the way these products reacted on my skin.
(fair, early 30's, combination)

First up is Alba Coconut Milk Facial Wash. I was hoping to get a whiff of the tropics but upon pumping the product out I got a very perfumey citrusy/lemongrassy smell. Hmm. Not a fan. Milk washes usually are not my preferred methods for removing make-up so I prefer to use these types of products in the AM. I applied the product and it felt oily, did not tingle or sting, but upon rinsing left a mildly oily feeling on my skin. I prefer a moisturized clean feeling from a milk wash so due to the scent and cleansing capabilities of this product I can only give it 2 winks.
Ingredients: Aloe Vera (Aloe Barbadensis) Leaf Juice, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Oil (Certified Organic), Octyl Palmitate, Glyceryl Stearate, Stearic Acid, Vegetable Glycerin, Capric Caprylic Caprate, Simmondsia Chinensis (Organic Jojoba) Seed Oil, Panthenol (Pro-Vitamin B5), Zingiber Zerumbet (Awapuhi Ginger) (Awapuhi), Carica Papaya (Papya) Fruit Extract (Papaya), Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Milk, Aleurites Moluccana (Kukui Nut) (Kukui Nut), Macadamia Ternifolia Oil, Tocopherol (Natural Vitamin E) (Vitamin E), Carbomer, Cetearyl Alcohol, Phenoxyethanol, Methyl, Propylparaben, Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Seed Extract (Grapefruit), Botanical Fragrance

Avalon Organics makes this coQ10 cleanser I had been wanting to try out for a while. As you may know coQ10 is and essential antioxidant that is found in every cell which helps to provide the energy source for cellular renewal and smooth firm skin. I had to give this product a try! The smell is clean, of a faint lavender and the consistency is creamy. It's a mild cleanser and it did tingle a bit on my skin at first. I think it is due to the sensitivity caused by my use of Retin-A. The tingling subsided and this product rinsed off cleanly, leaving my face refreshed and soft. Because it did tingle I give this product 4 winks. However, I will continue using it because I love that for a moisturizing milk cleansers it rinses off clean.
Ingredients: Organic Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) (1), Chamomilla Recutita (Chamomile) (1), Camellia Sinensis (White Tea) (2) and Organic Arnica Montana (3) Extracts (Aqueous), Disodium Laureth Sulfosuccinate, Mystamine Oxide, Cocamidopropyl Hydroxysultaine, Ubiquinone (Coq10), Citric Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Benzyl Alcohol, Potassium Sorbate, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Vegetable Glycerin, Polysorbate 20, Organic Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Oil (2) and Other Essential Oils, No artificial colors, synthetic fragrances or parabens. EU Compliant. pH Balanced. No sodium lauryl or laureth sulfate. 100% Vegetarian ingredients. No animal testing. Paraben free. 

I recently bought a bottle of Loving Naturals vegan SPF 30 sunscreen through Amazon. I was curious to see how well a vegan/certified organic/natural sunscreen would perform. The main active ingredient is zinc which protects from both UVA/UVB rays. The consistency is a bit oily, but absorbs nicely on my skin making it a good base for makeup. And the fact that it is made with 100% all natural, good for your skin ingredients is an added wink!
On other reviews, I've read that this sunscreen left a white mess on your face. I honestly think the users might have been going sunscreen happy when they applied it! What I do is shake the bottle and apply a small dollop on my finger and I proceed to apply. The smell is earthy, very natural. It does leave a pearlescent finish on my skin but I like it because when I apply my foundation over it it does the same effect as if I had used MAC's Strobe Cream. I really like this product for myself and my family so it for sure gets 5 winks and a permanent place in my medicine cabinet!
Ingredients: Non-Nano Particle Zinc Oxide (24.8%), Grape Seed Oil, Organic Sunflower Oil, Caprylic/Capric Triglycerides (derived from Coconut Oil), Soy Wax (Non-GMO), Organic Olive Oil, Organic Plum Kernel Oil, Organic Sesame Oil, Candelilla Wax, Organic Hemp Seed Oil, Organic Macadamia Nut Oil, Organic Cocoa (Fair Trade), Organic Green Tea, Vitamin E Oil 

If you are looking for natural products to add to your beauty regimen, you can try these out for yourself. Let me know how these worked for you and remember to
Stay Pretty!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!
Stay Pretty ;)